What is IVF?
IVF is In vitro Fertilization. It is a series of procedure which is used to treat fertility and even genetic problems which assist with conception of a child. In simple terms this procedure of fertilization by manually combining an egg and sperm in a laboratory dish, and then transferring the embryo back to the uterus.It is a type of assisted reproductive technology.
What is the IVF procedure?
IVF begins with a course of hormone therapy which helps to stimulate the development and growth of several follicles in the ovary. These eggs are then collected in a laboratory dish also known as Vitro. These eggs are then fertilized in the laboratory dish to create multiple embryos. After the stipulated time that is two to six days in the incubator one or two embryos are transferred to the women’s body through the vagina to the uterus. This is the place where implantation occurs and pregnancy begins. However, in In Vitro Fertilization as in natural conception not every embryo results to pregnancy. And this is the reason why surplus embryos are frozen. Therefore, subsequent transfers are tried if the first try fails. Freezing is an important part of almost every clinic.
What after the embryo transfer?
After the embryo is transferred successfully in the women’s womb, the woman is asked to rest for few days. The patient must take daily shots or pills of the hormone progesterone for eight to ten weeks after the embryo has been transferred in to the woman’s body. This helps the lining of the womb to thicken.
What makes India a preferred choice for IVF treatment?
State-of-the-art medical technology and specialised fertility centers has what made India today one of the most prominent destination for IVF treatment globally. Couples dealing with infertility and opting for IVF treatment has been rising every year.
Apart from possessing medically advanced technology which is at par with most of the western countries, another benefit of getting IVF treatment done in India is the reasonable costthat varies from $2000 to $3000 for each cycle.
The IVF cost in Mumbai is considered to be value for money, while cities like Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore and Chennai also offer good IVF treatment in the country.
What is the success rate?
The success rate for IVF in India differs from person to person depending upon the patient’s personal characteristics. The factors that matters the most are the age, health status, and the health of the partner. All these factors can greatly affect the result of the IVF procedure. The kind of IVF treatment in India being offered to the person will also affect the results to some content. IVF process inIndia might or might not get successful for some parents in first attempt. Thus, there might generate a requirement of undergoing the procedure several times.
What are the IVF know-hows?
For every woman, motherhood is a crucial term. At times, when a woman is battling with fertility issues in her body, to know how to become a mother is indeed much more crucial. To help you solve your queries, I have listed few FAQ’s (frequently asked questions) on how to go about IVF treatment.
- How long does egg retrieval takes?
- Egg retrieval is done within a short span of time, generally five to ten minutes depending on how many follicles are present.
- Is the retrieval painful?
- No it is not painful since the retrieval is done under anaesthasia
- Does the retrieval affect the functioning of the ovaries?
- No it does not. Many women have undergone multiple egg retrievals, and yet their ovaries responded to stimulation the same way on repeated treatment.
- Is bleeding expected after the egg retrieval?
- Light spotting is common after the egg retrieval. Usually, this bleeding is from the neede puncture sites in the vaginal wall. It is usually minor
- Does the embryo transfer cause pain?
- No, it is similar to intrauterine insemination (IUI). Usually the woman feels only the speculum and nothing else.
- Is bed rest recommended after the embryo transfer?
- It is recommended that you take it easy following transfer for the rest of the day, but routine work activities can be resumed the next day.
- How soon after IVF can a pregbabcy test be performed?
- A pregnancy test can be scheduled 10 days after embryo transfer
- How much waiting period is recommended between a failed IVF cycle and a repeat try?
- It is recommended to wait for one full mensrual cycle before undergoing IVF stimulation. It can take up to 6 weeks for inflammation to resolve; therefore, it is reasonable to wait a similar amount of time before restarting the process.
Although IVF is continuous treatment and needs the couple opting for it to remain patient, the world-class medical facilities and the steady progress in the success rates of IVF treatment in India is what gives every parent astrong ray of hope dealing with fertility concerns.
I have tried to cover as much information as possible. For any other queries, please log on to WebMD
I am a content producer/ digital marketing professional and like to create content on various facets of healthcare. Presently, I am working at www.clinicspots.com