As the month of December, which is a well known festive season approaches, it will be wise for you to take into cognisance the unhealthy indulgences that typically come with the increased number of get-togethers with family and friends. However, by following some simple health tips, you can ensure that your holiday period will be fun-filled without comprising your overall health and wellbeing.
Also read: Independence day: 4th of July health tips
During the holidays most individuals will find themselves out of their usual work routine and as a result they may stop exercising as regularly or find it difficult to follow a healthy diet. While the stress related to work reduces, which is positive, lifestyle choices often deteriorate during this time which can set people back on their health journey.
During the festive season, people are more likely to end up drinking and eating more. As a result, you have got to try think of healthy ways to counteract these actions, such as eating a salad, going for a brisk walk when you wake up or sitting for five minutes meditating. This is one method of staying healthy during the holidays.
If you are about to eat some takeaways, eat a little salad before that, by eating something fresh and healthy first you are less likely to eat more of the unhealthy foods as you fill up on nutritious food.
Bad habits cause the release of the stress hormone in the body and over a long period of time this can become quite damaging to the body. The challenge with the month of December, which is a festive season is that people often get into habit of bad eating and lack of exercise and this continues even when they get back to work.
If it is Christmas eve and you are going to have a massive piece of cake, just enjoy it. It is a festive time and you are partaking in an activity with the people you love and it is not a common occurrence. Do not beat yourself up, just ask yourself what you can do tomorrow to counter act this unhealthy choice.
Being healthy is a continuous journey of ups and downs, it is not a destination. You must chose to strive for health every day and do your best to balance out the bad with the good. Below are some quick health tips for the month of December.
- Wake up a bit earlier in the morning and go for a brisk walk
- It is not about being perfect and saying no, it is about trying to balance out bad choices with good choices
- If you know you are going to be eating an unhealthily meal, make the meal before or that one really healthy. This is a perfect holiday healthy eating tips.
- Eat something fresh and healthy (like a small salad) before you eat something bad
- Try your best to limit your portion sizes
- Always wait half an hour before having seconds
- Judge food according to how you feel afterwards not during – if you are feeling sluggish after a meal you know it was not good for the body.